5 tips for better sleep
If you've had nights where you stare at the pitch black ceiling and contemplate life for 2 hours until you can finally pass out, these are some things you should start doing.
1. Stretch for 10-30 mins before bed
Your yoga teacher was right about this. Stretch to de-stress and relieve your muscles before bed every night to get a better, deeper sleep, as well as wake up feeling energised!
2. Avoid alcohol 1-2 hours before bed
Although some think that alcohol induces sleepiness, it is diuretic and forces you to rush to the toilet in the middle of the night. On top of that, you might risk having a dreadful hangover the next day.
3. No electronics 1 hour before bed
As hard as it sounds, it is absolutely worth it. Stay away from the screens, stop scrolling on social media, put your laptop and your phone away, and perhaps grab some good reads whilst making yourself a nice cuppa. It is always a good idea to wind down and get comfortable for an hour before bed, so your mind is calm and peaceful.
4. White noise is your new silence
Everyone reacts to different white noises. Try a white noise machine or app to find your own favourite sleepy sound like thunderstorm, drizzle, rain, static and so on. If you find yourself constantly falling asleep to the sound of the television, try setting a timer so it turns off automatically.
5. Soothing Aromatherapy
There is a reason why retailers are making pillow sprays these days and that they are selling great - it works. Try to opt for something with lavender, lemongrass or chamomile. You can also make your own at home with only a few ingredients! Scroll and we will tell you how.
DIY Aromatherapy Pillow Mist
Ingredients: Small spray bottle, rubbing alcohol, distilled water, lavender essential oil, chamomile essential oil
1. Fill your spray bottle about halfway with rubbing alcohol and the rest with distilled water, about 1/2 inch below the top of the bottle.
2. Add 10 drops of essential oils per ounce that your bottle holds. If your bottle holds 6 ounces, use 25 drops of lavender and 35 drops of chamomile (for a total of 60 drops).
3. Shake your bottle to mix the ingredients before using.
4. Spritz a spray or two on your pillows, sheets, linens and pyjamas before bed.