HOME WORKOUT YOU CAN DO IN YOUR PYJAMAS
Going to the gym can be pretty intimidating sometimes. (Not in the mood to make small talks with the receptionist.) Leaving the house can be quite a hassle. (Can’t be bothered to put shoes on.) Even changing your clothes seem to be too much trouble. (Strip clothes off, put clothes on, hate the look, strip them off again.) Well, who says you have to pay for the gym or head outdoors to get fit? Here are 5 workouts you can do at home, in your PJs.
Low plank is great for developing core strength and toning the abs as it engages your entire core muscle. The exercise also helps to improve posture and reduce back pain.
1. Start in a push-up position, where your elbows are tucked in under your shoulders. Make sure your feet are set apart and aligned with the sides of your hip.
2. Bend your elbows and rest your weight on the forearms. Keep your body in a straight line, tuck in your buttocks and belly. Keep your core tight.
3. Hold for 30 seconds, or as long as you can.
Similar to a low plank, side plank engages your core muscles and improves your posture whilst working on your obliques. Start with holding it for as long as you can, even if you can’t hold as long as 30 seconds - work your way up as you go.
1. Lie on your side with you body fully extended and legs stacked.
2. Lift your body from the ground. Position your elbow under your shoulder. Balance your body weight with strength of forearm and side of the foot.
3. Keep your body in a straight line, tuck your buttocks and belly in and keep your abs tight.
4. Hold for 30 seconds, or as long as you can.
SIDE LEG LIFT
Side leg lift focuses on training the obliques whilst strengthening the hips, upper legs and core. The exercise also helps to improve the spine’s stability.
1. Lie on your side with your legs fully extended and stacked.
2. Lift one leg a few inches off the ground, pause for one second whilst tightening the core, and keep your upper body stable. Breathe out as you lift the leg.
3. Lower the leg, repeat 8 times, then switch sides.
Bicycle crunches are great for toning the abs, slimming down your waist and adding strength to your lower belly. The exercise engages your abs simultaneously.
1. In a sitting position, raise your legs.
2. Bring one knee and the opposing elbow towards each other by crunching; meanwhile, fully extend the other leg and keep it straight.
3. Repeat 8 times. Return to the starting position and switch to the other side.
During this exercise, keep your core tight and your back straight. Breathe in as you pull your knee back and breathe out as you kick back. Avoid raising your leg any higher than your hip. This exercise targets the glutes and helps to tone the muscles in your lower body.
1. Get on all fours on the mat (hands under shoulders, knees under hips).
2. Kick back with one leg. Keeping the knee bent 90 degrees, flex the foot and lift knee to hip level.
3. Lower knee without touching floor; lift again.
4. Repeat 8 times. Switch legs.
A Hong Kong petite born and bred, Wilsy writes (obviously). As a full time Global Adventurer and part-time Marketer & Content Creator in lifestyle, travel and gnt (yep, don’t judge), she can be spotted anywhere doing weird stuffs - mixing Want Want cocktail in dodgy Burmese Hostel, diving 32 meters down the sea while having a beer at the same time (and forgot to watch her no deco time and almost died). Her humble motto - “Nobody is perfect, I am nobody”